Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Farm Girl Finds @ {3:17} Vintage

Introducing...

Joni Wright @ Farm Girl Finds 

 


Tell us a little about yourself...

1.  I live in Cottage Grove with my husband/ high school sweetheart of 46 years.  We adore our family of 3 daughters and spouses, 2 granddaughters, 1 grandson, and our spoiled cat Baby.


 
2.  I've been a booking agent for 17 years for an amazing Elvis impersonator (who just happens to be my son-in-law).

3.  I'm a BIG Bon Jovi, Foreigner, and Journey fan!  Going to concerts with my daughter and granddaughter makes three generations of fun!

4.  I enjoy creative writing, acrylic painting, decorating, and the challenge of making something out of just about nothing.  Retirement has given me the time to search for unique finds to decorate my own home and help others do the same.

5.  I'm a believer in second chances, from my long-time career in the corrections/ probation field, to saving castaway treasures on the curb.  Everyone and everything deserves another chance to uncover its hidden potential and beauty.

How did you get into this?

I began re-purposing in 1973, when we lost our home and all its contents in a fire.  The blessing was that my husband, baby, and I escaped within minutes of our lives.  Even with some insurance money, we weren't able to purchase new home furnishings.  So, out of necessity, I decided to try auctions and yard sales.  Well, let's just say, that's how I caught the junkin' bug...and there seems to be no cure! 

I hate to see anything go into the trash, unless absolutely necessary.  So, if I see something with potential for a longer life, I can't resist a rescue.  For years, I've enjoyed and admired the talents of others at craft/ junk/ flea markets.  Then, in retirement, I started thinking, why not me... maybe it's time I give it a whirl myself!

My hobby took a turn in the summer of 2013 when I became a vendor at {3:17}.  This opportunity has given me an outlet for my creativity and a venue for my wares.  Giving credit where much credit is due, without my skilled husband's help, this fun venture wouldn't be possible.

How would you best describe your style?

Growing up on a farm, I'm especially drawn to anything farmhouse and rustic.  But who knew the Scandinavian in me would also love fancy French?  I enjoy any unique decor that tells a story about the family living there.









Do you have any "go to" colors?

My favorites are the neutrals of white, cream, taupe, and gray, with accents of mustard and a splash of black.

What's your favorite "find" or transformation that you've done?

My favorite "save" was my church's unfixable, 1868 grand piano that was about to be put out to pasture (yep...a little farm girl slang).  Every piece of it is now being used and enjoyed in our home as a bookshelf, coffee table, and bench for extra seating!




Where else can people find you?

www.facebook.com/pages/farm-girl-finds

{3:17} Vintage Furniture & Home Decor (Afton, MN)
www.facebook.com/317vintage
 

2 comments:

  1. That's wonderful Joni! I love your story, and would love to see your place in real life. Hope I can get there this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    reflections of me

    ReplyDelete